Herefordshire - Saxton/Hole
Back to Herefordshire
Title: Frugiferi AC Ameni Herefobdiae Comitalus qui olim pars fuit Silurum. delineato 1607
Publication: Britannia or a Geographical Description of the Most Flourishing Kingdoms.
Description: 17th century map by William Hole after Saxton, places featured include Ledbury, Hereford, Leominster, Tedbury, Ross on Wye.
Condition: Bold imprint, good paper, later hand colouring, folding copy as published.
Image size: 275 x 390mm
Order No. 2905
William Camden (1551-1623)
Eminent historian and antiquarian, was headmaster of Westminster School, London in 1593 and appointed Clarenceaux king of Arms in 1597. He first published Britannia a description and history of Britain in 1586. Written in Latin and with only a general map of the country it still proved very popular. The sixth edition included the county maps with Latin on the reverse. The maps mostly engraved by William Kip and William Hole, were generally copied from Saxton, the general map from Mercator.
Camden refused a Knighthood and his last academic achievement was the founding of a chair at Oxford University in 1622, known as the Camden Professorship of Ancient History. In 1838 the Camden institute was founded in his honour and still exists today.